Saturday, January 16, 2010

Paste-Papers and Hand-Painted Books

In 2002 I learned to work with paste to create end-papers for limited edition bindings.  Frequently used to create patterns, paste proved more alluring to me as a medium for painting.  The difference between its appearance wet, versus dry, intrigued me; and I found it in other ways beyond my control, which is always alluring.  I was interested in the book form––the turn-of-the-page, the smell of the paper, the heft of the thing––so for the next five years I created nothing but books, small editions of paste in combination with letterpress, and large one-of-a-kind hand-painted books.  Finally, the pages became so large that I began doing copies and hanging them on walls, as paintings.





















No comments:

Post a Comment